It is almost the weekend-you are almost there! It is also the twentieth episode of the “Summer Before College Series”. There is no better way to celebrate than with a fourth D.I.Y. project! This D.I.Y. project will give you step-by-step instructions on how to make what I call the “homesickness” pillow. This pillow will feature pieces of your relationships with your family and friends who cannot be at college with you, so it will be a great cure for homesickness!
What you will need:
- White Pillow-You can choose whatever size you want. If you plan to put a lot of items on your pillow, then choose a larger size. Both Target and Wal-Mart have a great selection of plain white pillows.
- Fabric Pens- Buy as many colors as you can so that you have a very colorful pillow!
- Fabric Glue- Your local craft store should have a great selection of different fabric glue products.
- “Pieces” of Your Friends and Family- This could be anything that your friends and family like. For example, my best friends and I love to tie-dye, so we created a t-shirt just for this project. You could also use items such as souvenirs, bracelets, nail polish, sports paraphernalia, etc. Just choose items that are special to your relationships!
Let’s get started!
- Lay out your materials. As I have stated in previous D.I.Y. posts, setting out all of your materials beforehand will help you to make sure that you have everything. It also makes everything more accessible.
- Draw on your pillow. You could draw absolutely anything on your pillow, so be creative! I decided to have my closest friends and family sign the pillow so that they helped to make my pillow more special. I also put some inside jokes on the pillow as well.
- Glue the pieces on the pillow. Glue the pieces wherever they seem to fit. Do not be afraid to have things dangle from the pillow. This will add a new dimension! Also, do not forget to take advantage of the corners!
And, that’s all folks! It is as easy as that! In little to no time at all, you have a unique pillow that will keep you from feeling lonely or homesick at school. This D.I.Y. project also makes a great gift idea! You could make one for your friend and then send it to him/her so that he/she can receive a little bit of you when he/she may need it at school!
Similar to the previous D.I.Y. projects, if you give this pillow a try, make sure to tweet us a picture of it!