Congrats newest freshman! You made it to your first day of college! Welcome to move in day! This might have consisted of crying to your parents about how much you're going to miss them, or spending 8 hours making your room just the way you want it. Well, I have a few tips on what things you won't regret bringing from home. How do you envision your ideal dorm room for this upcoming fall? Christmas lights and tapestries hung up? Sofas and canvas wall hangings? Let's take a look at what I used for my room and what things were really needed.
My room at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Connecticut.[/caption]
What important things to bring from home:
1. Mini Fridge
- Leftover pizza, midnight snacks and your daily dose of Arizona Iced Tea. Buying a fridge is the perfect idea for an on the go breakfast or keeping your water bottle cold. My roommate bought one before we moved in and it definitely was worth the money! Go out and buy yourself a mini fridge!
2. Dorm Space saver!
- Even though you think you have enough space no matter how big your dorm is, you will not regret buying this! A Dorm Space Saver (be it a trunk or under the bed storage) will keep all of your personal belongings in an organized space.
- Don't forget about your alarm clock for those 8 am classes! It definitely helps me when I need to wake up early for those 9AMs. An iHome will become your best friend. It has a charger for your phone, AM/FM stations, Bluetooth and so much more.
4. Fan, Fan, Fan!
- Depending on which school you go to, most freshman dorm rooms don't supply air conditioning. Definitely bring those fans with you because it gets very hot! Large or small, it does not matter!
- A trunk is another great way to store anything you don't need immediate access to -- think winter blankets or clothing that's out of season. You can also use this as a way to liven up your space. Slap on a bunch of bumper stickers and band stickers for an indie look, or spray paint it in your favorite colors.
6. Plastic Storage bins
- For all of you who complain to your mom how you don't have enough space around the room, buying these bins was worth every penny! I know that I couldn't fit all my stuff in that small closet they give us so buying these bins made my life so much easier! It helped me organize them from underwear to sweaters I will not be using now, towels, sheets and gym clothes!
7. Command Hooks
- The easiest, cheapest and best way to hang up your picture frames, tapestries and a DIY canvas. You can pretty much find these anywhere - and you'll be glad you bought them.
- For all of those clothes us ladies bring, you must must must bring over 50 hangers... I know it seems like a bit much but you will not regret it! I brought so many hangers and it kept my closet organized from dresses, pants, skirts and shorts.
9. Light Up Make Up Mirror
- Do you really want to put on a full face of makeup on in the dark for an 8 am? Invest in a mirror with a light, specifically one that gifts off natural, daylight hues.
10. Coffee Machine
- Espresso, chai teas and much more! Who doesn't love their early morning coffee? I know I can't live without my daily dose of tea!
- You might be thinking right now why would I need to bring a pack of batteries? When I say trust me, trust me because I needed so many batteries setting up my dorm room, for things like remotes and lights!