Yellow, the brightest — and most eye catching — color of the rainbow! Adding subtle yellow accents through a decorative pillow or a plant of flowers to your dorm room can give it that extra style boost you’ve been looking for. Who doesn’t want an extra dose of cheeriness to start off their day? But be careful — adding too much yellow can overwhelm your room. Thankfully, yellow matches well with other colors and can fit with any desired aesthetic.
Need help finding the right yellow dorm decor for your room? Check out our favorite yellow dorm decor ideas for transforming your dorm room into a vibrant social oasis below! Whether you have a simple, modern taste or a flair for creative and experimental design, we can help you design the dorm room of your dreams.
Wall Art and Tapestries
Spruce up your walls with some new visuals
Tapestries are a common staple in college dorm rooms — and for good reason! Their gorgeous designs can transform a dorm room in seconds. They are also the perfect backdrop for photos. Because they are so popular, there is always a tapestry design out there that fits your style. Plus, setting them up is pretty easy and pain-free.
Need some ideas for deciding how or where you should place your tapestry? Check out our favorite ideas for decorating dorm rooms with tapestries below.
- Place it on the ceiling. Want to be a little creative? Hang your tapestry from the ceiling to create a unique, bohemian dorm room theme. We all know how cramped dorm rooms can be. Hanging a tapestry from the ceiling can also make the room appear larger and more spacious.
- Use it as a bedspread. Add a stylish touch to your bedding by placing a large, ornate tapestry over it. During the winter months, the tapestry can rest over your comforter. Once spring and warm weather arrives, you can replace the comforter with the tapestry altogether.
- Place it behind your headboard. Give your headboard a unique look by hanging the tapestry behind your headboard. Or, if you don’t have a headboard, use the tapestry to cover the fact that there is a bare wall behind you. Add lights for an extra special effect.
- Hang it on the wall. There is nothing wrong with sticking to tradition and hanging a tapestry over a bare wall. You can leave the space empty or place a table or sofa in front of it.
- Cut them into curtains. You can cut your old tapestry into window curtains. However, if you can barely cut in a straight line on paper, you might want to consider purchasing special tapestry curtains.
- Use them as a furniture cover. Keep furniture clean and durable with a beautiful tapestry cover.
Other Types of Wall Art
Of course, tapestries aren’t the only yellow dorm decor items you can hang on your wall. Remember to look for these items when planning out your new dorm room decorations.
- Mirrors with golden frames
- Paintings and drawings
- Motivational canvases
- Plants and flowers
Whether you decide to paint your own wall decorations or rifle through the bins at your local farmer’s market, these pieces are sure to light up your room.
Bedding & Pillows
Yellow accent pillows and blankets make stylish and practical additions
Pillows, blankets, and sheets provide both comfort and style to your dorm room. Even the manner by which you arrange your pillows can make a difference in its look and aesthetic. If you have enough room, add an extra decorative pillow or two to spice things up. A gold shimmering pillow or two can drastically change the look of a room.
Blankets are also great for cold nights in dorms with unreliable heating systems. Purchase a solid yellow color blanket or an intricately designed quilt with yellow accents to follow the dorm theme. Make sure the rest of your bedding along with your headboard matches the blanket and pillows. White, for instance, always adds a soft and gentle effect to gold or yellow dorm decor.
Rugs and Other Decorations
Don’t be afraid to get a little creative
Carpets and rugs are perfect for transforming a room. Adding one is quick and easy. You can select a solid gold or a color that complements the yellow dorm decor in your room. Before you shop, make sure you are familiar with common rug materials, including:
- Natural Fiber
You can place the rug anywhere, from the side of your bed to the area in front of your door. Just make sure it can fit into your dorm room! The last thing you need is a large rug that can’t fit into your cramped dorm room.
Mix and Match Styles
Yellow goes with almost any theme and aesthetic
One of the nicest things about the color yellow is its ability to complement almost any color! Most people don’t employ yellow as their room’s primary color. Instead, they use it as an accent color. Here are some of the most common colors paired with yellow.
- Light Purple
Remember that yellow comes in a variety of shades. Not everyone wants to, or even should, add the typical highlighter yellow many people think of when they are reminded of the color.
Finding the Right Balance of Colors
Make sure you don’t overdo the yellow. Too much yellow can strain the eyes and irritate them. It can also cause people to become irritable and argumentative. On the other hand, a lack of yellow can make one feel more isolated. Therefore, if you decide to add yellow to your color scheme, you should practice caution and balance when implementing it.
Add these fun and quirky additions to your dorm room to make it stand out
Do you want to add some yellow to your room, but also keep it subtle? You don’t have to go all out and purchase yellow wallpaper or a gold bedspread to stay on theme. Here are some quirky and unique decorative items to add to your dorm room and keep it interesting.
- String Lights
- Even wall art or organizers with yellow gold accents
Tips for Redecorating Your Dorm Room
Make sure you have a plan coming in
Do you want a whole new style and theme for your dorm room? Or do you just want to liven it up a little? Maybe you aren’t sure what you want to do quite yet — you just know that your dorm room needs a little facelift.
It never hurts to plan out your room decor ideas. Websites like Instagram and Pinterest are perfect for finding dorm room inspiration and tips. There’s nothing more relaxing than saving and pinning photos to inspire your dream dorm room. Just don’t forget to bookmark your favorite items so you can purchase them when you are ready.
Make sure you remember to plan out your budget beforehand. Furniture and decorations can get pretty expensive. You might have to leave out a piece or two. But if you are thrifty and smart, you can find great deals for your money.
Figuring Out the Logistics
Where to Find Fun and Inexpensive Pieces
Shopping for new furniture and decor can be overwhelming. There are so many gorgeous options out there — many of which are over a typical college student’s budget. If you aren’t careful, you will quickly find yourself overspending and losing money. To help you avoid that, we have assembled a guide of thrifty tips to purchasing inexpensive yellow dorm decor and furniture.
- Shop sales. College dorm room and furniture companies almost always have a “Sale” section in-store or on their website. It never hurts to take a peek at what is there.
- Buy used. All too often, good furniture ends up unused in a landfill. Let’s take care of the planet together and practice thrifting our furniture. You can find gently used furniture at thrift stores, vintage shops, and online platforms such as Facebook Marketplace. You might even find some fun decorations to bring to your dorm room as well!
- Check out bulk or discount stores. You might be pleasantly surprised at how many high-quality decorations and furniture pieces you can find at these stores. Places like Costco and Sam’s Club offer an abundance of furniture and decorations fit for any dorm room!
Yellow dorm decor is a unique and eye-catching addition to any room. Purchasing it is easy and inexpensive, especially when you have a game plan going into it. How do you like to style your room? Do you enjoy bright lighting and colors or do you prefer a dark and sophisticated look? Let us know in the comments below!