Today, I would like to talk about your dorm room bed. The first thing that you must realize about your bed at school is that it will never be the same as your bed at home, simply because they are different beds. So while you are shopping, I would like for you to consider a few things.
I like to call them “The Three Truths” about your bed.
First, dorm room beds can be small and uncomfortable. Every bed that I have had at school has been comprised of an extremely hard twin XL mattress and a small wooden frame to go around it.
Secondly, your bed comes as it is. The school will not supply you with anything to make your bed more comfortable. Some schools, however, do have a “sheets program” where you can buy sheets from your school’s housing administrators.
And thirdly, most dorm room beds are stackable and adjustable. This allows students to have plenty of storage room underneath their beds and to potentially have bunk beds as well.
Now, shopping for your bed can be quite the process. In the sections below, I have taken “The Three Truths” and created lists of items that are necessary to improve the quality of your school bed.
For the uncomfortable factor:
- Egg Crate. This wonderful foam invention is designed to shape perfectly to your body to ensure that you get a good night’s sleep. Put this item underneath your mattress sheet and on top of your mattress, and you will never wake up with back or neck pains!
- Feather/Fiber Mattress. This bed accessory, similar to the egg crate, fits to your body to ensure comfort while sleeping. I like to combine this accessory with the egg crate (by placing it on top of the egg crate) for extra comfort and support. After placing this item on your bed, you do not even feel the original mattress anymore!
- Foam Pillows (or the equivalent). These pillows were a lifesaver for me at college. They kept me from waking up with neck pains, the worst thing that could ever happen to you on a test day, and they helped me to sleep through the night.
For the fashionable factor:
- Bedding. I discussed bedding back in my “Preliminary List” blog, so go and check it out if you have not already done so. To recap, get the bedding that jumps out at you the most. You want it to scream “you” so that it is sure to match your personality and the overall vibe in your dorm room. Your bedding will surely make any plain old bed look fantastic!
- Decorative Pillows. Dress up your bed by buying some extra pillows to match your bed!
- Throw Blanket. Not only will this accessory keep you warm in the colder months, but it will also provide another pop of color to your bed!
Hopefully you will now be able to transform your old dorm room bed into a wonderful and comfortable paradise!
What do you think you will put on your bed?
More on the OCM BLOG
Latest posts by Sara Sitler (see all)
- How to Sleep Well at School - February 17, 2014
- Busy Semester? Not A Problem! - January 3, 2014
- Good Luck! - August 5, 2013
- The End Of The Summer Before College Series - August 1, 2013
- Summer Before College Series 36: OCM Sweepstakes and Coupons! - August 1, 2013