Happy National Sandwich Day — or as well call it, the best day of the year! For college students always on the go and in need of quick fixes (that are not expensive or tasteless cafeteria options), a good sandwich means the world. But the perfect sandwich for us isn’t just any PBJ. Our favorite sandwiches to sneak in class are ones that are low-mess, fast makes, and healthy. These 5 recipes are ones you have to try!
Egg Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
We love the McDonald’s version of the bacon, egg, and cheese, but who wants to spend cash on that? Instead of spending your morning in a drive-in line, make it at home or in your dorm with just a few ingredients and minutes to spare. Plus, this version is so much healthier!
- English muffin
- 2 tbsp Egg whites
- Pre-cooked turkey bacon
- Slice of cheese (any flavor, but we recommend Swiss)
- In a mug, microwave egg whites for 20-second intervals until cooked.
- Follow microwave directions for turkey bacon slice and then cut bacon to fit on the muffin.
- Stack egg, bacon, and cheese on the muffin. Eat warm, if possible!
- To add more flavor and veggies, add frozen or fresh spinach, onions, mushrooms, etc. to eggs.
Elvis or Lisa Marie Sandwich
Elvis was a man of some pretty diverse tastes — some which aren’t particularly that appealing when you hear them. But we can attest that Elvis had something going on when he thought up the sandwich he’s named after. Plus, if you want a bit of decadence, all you have to do is add one sweet ingredient it up to make a Lisa Marie!
- Peanut Butter
- Banana, sliced
- Pre-cooked turkey bacon
- Nutella or chocolate spread*
- Spread butter lightly on backs of bread then add a generous amount of peanut butter and sliced bananas and pre-cooked turkey bacon.
- For the Lisa Marie, add Nutella or chocolate spread.
- Grill sandwich until light brown. Enjoy!
Chicken Waffle Minis
Chicken and waffles is the flavor everyone is talking about! Now you can recreate it with just a microwave and a few grocery store finds. We can guarantee you’ll make your classmates jealous over this one.
- Frozen fried or breaded chicken
- Mini-sized waffles
- Syrup or gravy (to taste)
- Cook chicken and waffles in the microwave and toaster as directed. Stack into sandwiches.
- Add a side of syrup or gravy either as a topper or on the side. Delish!
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
A little bit messy, a whole lot of deliciousness — the Philly Cheesesteak is a fantastic choice if you’re in need of some powerful protein! While it’s a bit of a mess, it’s so worth it.
- Hawaiian roll bread
- Pre-cooked steak (check frozen or prepared meat aisles)
- Green and red peppers, sliced
- ¼ cup white onion, sliced
- Toast Hawaiian rolls on the stove.
- Prepare steak as directed.
- Top steak with cheese-whiz, peppers, and onions. Yummy!
- *Alternative way for those with access to an oven: Pre-heat oven to 400°F. On a baking sheet, assemble sandwiches (along with cooked steak) with Swiss or Provolone cheese instead of cheese-wiz, and bake for 10 minutes or until bread begins to toast and cheese is melted.