Thanksgiving is almost here! Time to get ready to stuff our faces full of anything and everything sweet, savory, and delicious. But if you’re living on-campus and far away from home, the chances of getting your hands on something tasty before heading home for the holidays is often next to none.
But never fear – you can totally whip up some of your favorite Thanksgiving treats in the comfort of your own dorm room (without causing a fire in the process)! Without further ado, here are our top four favorite treats to get you through the rest of November until Thanksgiving finally arrives.
(ALMOST) HOMEMADE CORNBREAD
Dreaming of the days when mom would serve deliciously hot cornbread with dinner? Now you can snag it from your own microwave! Here are the details on what you’ll need:
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
Now that you have everything (plus your microwave) ready to go, here’s how to cook it:
- Mix all ingredients together in a large microwave-safe container
- Heat in microwave on high until fully cooked – insert a toothpick in the middle to determine when it’s done (it will come out clean)
MELTY MASHED POTATOES
If you’re on a carb kick or just looking for some warm comfort food to help you get through your endless classes and the freezing days, look no further. Here’s what you need for the ultimate mashed potatoes:
- 1 large russet potato
- 1-3 oz. milk
- 2 oz. cheese
And now that you’ve gathered everything, here’s how you make it:
- Fully wash potato and remove eyes. Stab fork holes throughout.
- Microwave for 5-8 minutes or until soft.
- Remove potato and place on cutting board. Slice in half.
- Scoop out white of potato with a spoon and add to bowl.
- Add milk and cheese to bowl.
- Mash with fork until fully blended.
- Microwave as needed to melt the cheese.
- EAT IT ALL.
TASTY TURKEY CUTLETS
Dreaming of delicious turkey? We totally get it. Cook it for yourself in the comfort of your dorm room with these ingredients and steps:
- 1 three-pound turkey cutlet (skinned)
- Salt and pepper
That’s really all you need! Now here’s what you do:
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Add 1 cup of water to bowl and re-cover.
- Microwave on high for five minutes.
- Microwave on 50% for five minutes.
- Flip over cutlet and microwave on 50% for another 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- EAT UP.
PERFECT PUMPKIN PIE
Pumpkin pie in a dorm room – we must be crazy, right? Nope – you can easily make this tasty treat for yourself in the comfort of your own room! Here’s what you need:
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 1 14-oz can of pumpkin pie filling
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Got it all? Here’s all you need to do:
- Mix pumpkin pie filling, pumpkin spice, eggs, and heavy cream in a microwave-safe container.
- Heat in microwave for four minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into piecrust.
- Microwave on medium for 14-20 minutes until set in center, rotating once during cooking.
Let us know your favorite quick Thanksgiving treats!
More on the OCM BLOG
Latest posts by OCM Staff (see all)
- Celebrating St. Patricks Day on Campus - March 7, 2019
- Top Three Bedroom Color Trends for 2019 - February 25, 2019
- 2019’s Top Secondhand and Thrift Stores for Those Statement Pieces - February 7, 2019
- What to do With Your Diploma After Graduation - January 25, 2019
- How to Deal With Seasonal Depression - January 24, 2019